I gave my talk
this morning to a packed room of 40-50 people at ApacheCon EU
. The talk is an updated and improved version of the talk I gave last year at ApacheCon US. It's designed to be a primer for system administrators considering using Roller and developers considering customizing or basic products on Roller. Here's what I covered:
- Roller history: how Roller got started and how it got to where it is today at Sun, IBM, JRoller, Yale, NC State, etc.
- Roller features: overview of Roller features, limitations and reasons for choosing Roller.
- Roller community: discussion of Roller community, project processes (release cycle and proposals) and status of Apache incubation.
- Roller internals - backend: overview of Roller business/persistence layer architecture, components used, XDoclet code-gen, POJOs and manager interfaces.
- Roller internals - front-end: overview of Roller presentation layer including the Struts/JSP based editor UI and the Velocity-based blog/feed rendering engine.
- Customizing Roller: brief overview of techniques for customizing Roller.
- Roller futures: Overview of Roller 3.0 plans.
For those who couldn't make the talk, I've made my slides avalable in PDF
format. Let me know if you have questions.
Tags: topic:[apacheconeu2006], topic:[apachecon]