« Fork it all | Main | Frustrating the Ugg... »

Rollarcus: from 9 to 2

rollarcus github logo

I made some progress in Rollarcus over the past couple of weekends, but not a lot. This makes me wonder how I ever found the "nights and weekends" to get Roller started in the first place, but that's a different topic.

What I've done so far in Rollarcus is to simplify things. While I was at Sun, we split Roller up into a number of parts: a weblogger part for blogging, a planet part for RSS/Atom aggregation, a core part for things common to both. After Sun, I worked to move Roller to Maven and further split things up into a total of 9 Maven modules including an assembly for building the release. Now, I think that all these modules are unnecessary -- we never shipped a Roller-Planet application and nobody wants to use parts of Roller -- and even if they did, the modules did not really help.

Here's the before view: apache/roller

Here's the after view: snoopdave/rollarcus

So, in Rollerarcus, I've merged all the modules. Except for one "test utilities" module, all Java code, JSPs and other code is now in one module and much easier to deal with. Next, I'm going to attack the (what I consider to be) unnecessary dependencies and drastically reduce the number of jars in WEB-INF.

UPDATE: The most significant of the changes that I made in Rollarcus have been applied by to Apache Roller and today (August 18, 2013) I removed the Rollarcus repository from Github.

Comments:

Post a Comment:
  • HTML Syntax: Allowed

« Fork it all | Main | Frustrating the Ugg... »

Welcome

You're viewing a weblog entry titled Rollarcus: from 9 to 2. If you like this entry you might want to:

This is just one entry in the weblog Blogging Roller. You may want to visit the main page of the weblog

Related entries

Below are the most recent entries in the category Roller, some may be related to this entry.